Ways to Give

Payment FAQ’s

Thank you for making a gift to help those most in need. At the end of the year, many donors are considering the tax benefits of making a donation and may have questions. Here are our answers to some Frequently Asked Questions regarding year-end giving.

When is the deadline for year-end charitable contributions?

If you would like to pay your pledge via credit card, please note that we will gladly accept your credit card payment on the phone by 12:00 p.m. at 561-852-3169 on December 29th or on our website by 11:59 pm at jewishboca.org/pledge on December 31.

If you are paying with a check, the deadline is also December 31st. All checks must be dated and postmarked by December 31st to ensure a tax deduction for that year.

For more information about these payment options, please contact Marc Fishman at 561-852-3169 or MarcF@BocaFed.org.

If you are using appreciated stock, it is important that you contact our office at 561-852-3147, and provide us with the donor’s name, name of the security, and number of shares being transferred by December 29. The stock must also be transferred into our Muriel Siebert account by December 29 to ensure a tax benefit for that year.

If you are paying by wire transfer/ACH, the transfer deadline is also December 29, with the funds deposited into the Federation account by December 29, to ensure a tax benefit for that year.

For more information about these payment options, please contact Megan Macdonald at 561-852-3147 or MeganM@bocafed.org.

How can I use my IRA to make a donation?

The IRA Charitable Rollover provision, referred to as a qualified charitable distribution (QCD), permits individuals 70 1/2 or older to donate up to $100,000 annually from their IRAs to charities without having to count the distribution as taxable income. Generally, when you take a distribution from your IRA, it is treated as taxable income. The IRA Charitable Rollover can be used to pay for a gift to the annual campaign, or an endowment that will provide an annual gift in your name for generations to come.

If you wish to make a payment/gift to our Federation Annual Campaign using an IRA Charitable Rollover, please contact Marc Fishman at 561-852-3169 or MarcF@bocafed.org. To set up a Jacobson Jewish Community Foundation endowment using your IRA please contact, Lottie Nilsen, at LottieN@bocafed.org or 561-852-3109.

Transfer deadline is December 29, with the funds deposited into the Federation account by December 29, to ensure a tax benefit for that year.

How can I give through my Donor Advised Fund (DAF)?

A DAF allows the donor to make a donation with stock or cash now and receive a tax deduction, and then recommend grants from the fund to charities on your own schedule. It is like a charitable checking account, and a convenient way to manage all of your charitable giving in one place.

It’s very easy to set up a DAF. It requires a signed form, and there is a minimum starting amount of $5,000. Recommendations can be made as soon as the funds are confirmed deposited. For year end, the check must be dated and postmarked by December 29. If it’s a stock transfer, it must  be received by December 30. For more information, please contact Hilda Farkas at HildaF@bocafed.org or 561-852-5010.

How do I establish a Donor Advised Fund?

donor advised fund, or DAF, is an account where the donor can deposit assets for donation to charity over time. The donor gets a tax deduction for making contributions to the DAF. A sponsoring organization manages the account; the donor recommends how to invest and where to donate the assets.

As a sponsoring organization, the Jacobson Jewish Community Foundation (JJCF) can assist donors and families in establishing a DAF at any time. The JJCF will ask donors to submit an application, sign a fund agreement, and make a minimum contribution. Minimums can be as low as $5,000, although many donors contribute $25,000 or more.

For questions about establishing a DAF, please contact Hilda Farkas at HildaF@bocafed.org, 561-852-5010.

What are the benefits of donating appreciated stock instead of cash?

Appreciated publicly traded stock that you’ve held for more than one year is considered long-term capital gains property. If you donate it to a qualified charity, you may be able to enjoy two tax benefits:

  • If you itemize deductions, you can claim a charitable deduction equal to the stock’s fair market value, and
  • You can avoid the capital gains tax you would pay if you sold the stock.

Donating appreciated stock can be especially beneficial to taxpayers facing the 3.8% net investment income tax (NIIT) or the top 20% long-term capital gains rate this year.

Can I donate an Israel Bond?

A donor can pay a pledge or set-up a Donor Advised Fund with a matured Israel Bond.

A donor can also purchase an Israel Bond in Federation’s name as a donation. The donor will receive tax credit for the full matured value.

If the Israel Bond has already been purchased and it has matured, the donor can donate it to the Federation. Contact Karen Milloy at 561-852-6008 or KarenM@bocafed.org for instructions.

The transfer deadline is December 22 to ensure a tax benefit for that year.

What should I consider when it comes to Matching Gifts?

Please note that many companies will match your contribution to the Jewish Federation of South Palm Beach County. For more information on matching gifts, click here, or call Marc Fishman at 561-852-3169, email MarcF@bocafed.org or contact your employer’s Benefits or Human Resources manager.

I’m a part-time resident from Canada, who wants to support the Jewish Federation of South Palm Beach County and the JJCF. Any special requirements for me?

Simply make your check payable to United Israel Appeal (UIA) of Canada in US funds and receive a tax receipt for being a part of our vibrant Jewish community.

For questions about giving as a part-time resident, please contact Marc Fishman at 561-852-3169 or MarcF@bocafed.org.

Since each financial and investment situation is unique to the individual, please seek more in-depth advice from your personal legal, estate planning, financial or tax professional.